Skip to main content

Chase Quick Deposit mobile app Fails

I opened a Chase checking account with two purposes in mind: one try out the online bill payment features to compare and contrast with ETrade (my current bank); and two, try the new highly advertised Quick Deposit feature on the iPhone app which allows one to take photos of the check and deposit via those photos.

Getting back from Christmas holiday and looking in the mail box I had 6 checks to try out the new Chase Quick Deposit feature.  This should be fun!  I open up the Chase app on my iPhone 4, sign in and find the feature no problem.  The apps user interface is fairly clean it looks like I enter the check amount and take two photos (front & back of check) to submit the check for deposit.  Appears easy enough - lets try it.

Check number one data entry goes just find, photo imaging works great, the app appears to have a "steady cam" sensor built in - it didn't use the flash (interesting).  Then after a few needless confirmation screens I select Submit and get back the first of a pattern of failure messages.  The message is useless - it tells me to try again, with no reason for the rejection.  Was it my photos - they were very good, did the auto text recognition misread the amount or the routing numbers?  I don't know just try again.  On the second try I get a bit better rejection info - the amount is higher than allowed.  What?  I can submit a check as long as it is below an undisclosed arbitrary amount.  Who's idea of a feature constraint was this bright idea?  And why did the application allow me to go beyond the validation of the first data field (Amount) to take two pictures and waste the bandwidth to upload the two pictures to image processing to make this limit determination?  Poor Chase - this did not meet my expectations, and you wasted my time.  And you don't want to accept $2850.00 of someone else's money into your bank at the first opportunity - sounds like failure to me.

OK let's try again on a lower amount check (wonder what is below their undisclosed threshold)?  Here's a check below $100.  First try failed for some unknown reason but I got a wordy message to "try again."  OK the second attempt worked.  Great, one success in 4 attempts.  I get better odds flipping a coin.  Now I have to track which checks actually work and which do not, this is added work on my part for the 6 check I have to deposit.  Is my life getting easier with this app - not so sure?  Let's try another check.



Third check - fails twice.  OK try a fourth check.

Fourth check fails first time.  OK a little recap:  one success in six attempts, the more I try the worse their success rate.  I spot the trend.  I'm wasting my time.  A walk to the ATM will take me 30 minutes and I get fresh Chicago street air, or I could continue with the Chase one-arm-bandit Quick Deposit machine.    

It is not Quick - unless you hit 7-7-7 on your first spin.  It doesn't deposit unless you have arbitrary low numbers. So altogether I would have to say it is neither Quick nor a Deposit feature.  Chase you are wrong on both terms.

Comments